Bean moujaddara or “mjaddarit fassolia” is a traditional recipe from the Shouf region using lima beans instead of lentils.
Total Servings: 4
Preparation time: 2 hours
½ cups beans soaked overnight
¾ cup bulgur
2.5 L water
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
5 Tbsp olive oil
4 Tsp salt
- Add the beans to 1 L of water and bring to boil.
- While boiling, add 500 mL of water and cover. Stir occasionally.
- After 1 hour, add another 500 mL of water.
- Sauté the chopped onions in the olive oil with salt until lightly brown.
- Add one more half liter of water to the beans.
- Add the tomato paste and the bulgur to the fried onions; mix well and add the mixture to the boiling beans.
- Simmer for 30 more minutes, then add 500 mL of water and 3 tsp salt. Stir occasionally.
- Serve hot.