Total servings: 6
Preparation time: 1.5 – 2 hrs
- 500 gr of cracked freekeh
- 250 gr of veal or mutton
- 500 ml of water
- 50 grams of mixed almons and pine nuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 tsp of salt
- 2-3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp of Kabseh spices
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Soak the cracked freekeh in cold water for 1 hour then drain it well.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2 to 3 tbsp of vegetable oil and stir-fry the meat chops until they cook on the outside, for about 5 min.
- Add 500 ml of water, the chopped onion, the bay leaves, the cloves and 1/2 tsp of salt and pressure cook the meat for about 50 minutes or until done.
- Remove the bay leaves and the cloves and collect the meat broth for cooking the freekeh at a later stage.
- In another pot, add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and stir fry the freekeh over high fire until golden, for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meat broth, the Kabseh spices, and 1 tsp of salt. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until done.
- Stir-fry the almonds and pine nuts, drain from the oil and and set aside.
- Dish out the freekeh in a large flat plate, topping it with meat chops and nuts, and serve hot.
The freekeh can be accompanied by yogurt or salad on the side.