This dish is popular in Akkar as well as other Lebanese regions where it is prepared on Easter Saturday. Given that during the lent period people fast on dairy products, people celebrate the end of Lent and the resurrection of Christ with this “white” dish. Wheat and laban called “labaniyeh” is savored with a boiled egg.
This recipe provides a great source of fibers – known for their benefits for the heart and for prolonging the feeling of satiety.
Total Servings: 5
Preparation Time: Overnight soaking + 30 min preparation of recipe
4 cups of pealed wheat
1 cup pf chickpea
3 kg of fresh plain yoghurt (Laban)
- Soak the wheat and chickpea in water overnight.
- Wash the wheat / chickpea mix the next day under running water and put it in a pot with twice as much water as there are grains.
- Leave the grain mix on fire for around 30 minutes (decrease the fire once the water is boiling).
- Poor the plain yoghurt (Laban) on the grain mix and stir until the yoghurt spreads all over the grains.
- Leave it to cool for a bit and place it in the fridge as it is mostly enjoyed cold.