Samkeh harra or spiced fish is a specialty of Tripoli el Mina par excellence! Tripoli is a coastal city in North Lebanon, famous for its sweets and old traditional souks.
Samkeh harra is usually prepared for special occasions and family gatherings, it consists of a baked fish served with nuts and tahini sauce.
This recipe was shared by Hana el-Zeini from Tripoli, Lebanon
Preparation time: 1 hour
1 large fish, scaled and cleaned (about 1.5 Kg)
1 cup of tahini (sesame paste)
1 cup of coriander, finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup of lemon juice
2 cups of water
¼ cup of almonds, sliced, peeled and fried in vegetable oil
¼ cup of pine seeds, sliced, peeled and fried in vegetable oil
½ cup of walnuts, crushed
1 green pepper, thinly sliced
2 tsp of hot pepper, diced
Salt and mixed spices to taste
- To prepare the fish, clean it then rub it with salt and mixed spices then with a Tbsp. spoon of olive oil. Stuff the fish with thin slices of lemon, then cover it with lemon slices and wrap it in aluminum foil.
- Put the fish in oven tray with a little bit of water, in a heated oven for about 40 min or till done (check occasionally and add water in the tray if completely evaporated).
- In a cooking pot, mix the tahini with the lemon juice and 2 cups of water. Add the coriander, garlic, crushed walnuts, peppers and olive oil. Season with salt and mixed spices to taste.
- Put the pot over medium heat and bring to boil while stirring occasionally, until the sauce color darkens and the olive oil comes to the surface.
- Remove the fish from the oven, place in a serving dish as is or deboned and leave the flesh.
- Cover with the sauce and decorate with the fried almonds and pine nuts and lemon slices.